Questions to Ask When Choosing a Home
Once you know what features you’d like your house to have and what you can afford, then it’s time to find a home! Start by browsing the MLS listings for houses that meet your criteria, and then contact your REALTOR® to discuss your choices and arrange home visits.
When you visit a home, it’s easy to be taken in by appealing features and aesthetics. But by keeping this list handy, you can be sure you stick to the home-buying criteria you set out for yourself.
How to use the Home Check List
Whenever you schedule a home visit with your REALTOR®, make sure you go through the entire list below. If there’s a question that doesn’t apply, skip it, or put a mark next to it. Remember to keep track of which house you’re answering the questions for so that when you review your notes, you remember which homes you liked.
- How does the asking price compare to other houses in the neighborhood? Is it higher or lower?
- Is the existing mortgage assumable?
- What is the required down payment amount?
- What are the annual property taxes?
- Will the taxes increase with the transfer of deed and a new market price?
- What are the local ordinances? Will you be allowed to build additions to your new home?
- Could the home or part of the home be an income property that could be rented out to tenants or students?
- How big is the yard?
- Are there landscape details?
- What level of maintenance will be required?
- What is the age of the home?
- What is the structural condition?
- What major repairs or improvements will need to be made?
- How many rooms and baths are on each floor?
- Are there extra features such as an intercom, security system, central air or multiple fireplaces?
- Are the appliances built in? Do they match?
- Is there adequate insulation?
- Is there weather stripping or storm windows?
- What is the age and condition of each major system (plumbing, electrical, heating, and cooling)?
- What type of fuel is the home heated with?
- What is the average monthly utility cost?
Download a Printable Form