1375 Martin Street, State College, PA 16803 • 814-231-8200
community photo

About Madisonburg

community photo

Located in eastern Centre County, Madisonburg is in the Brush Valley, parallel to Penns Valley. A quiet community located along Route 192, the total area of the town is 0.08 square miles and the population is under 200 people.

The town of Madisonburg was named to honor James Madison. It became a center for agriculture along a local travel route that was laid out in the 1770s and 1780s. A stone house built by Simon Pickle in 1833, at the intersection of this road and another leading into Little Nittany Valley, served as a post office, general store, and tavern for travelers. Today the house is privately owned, but commonly used as a landmark when giving directions within the town.

A well-known shop in Madisonburg is Fisher's Shoe & Saddle Shop. Amish-owned, this shop is popular for leather materials such as saddles, tack, belts, wallet, and handbags, as well as shoes and shoe repair.