1375 Martin Street, State College, PA 16803 • 814-231-8200
community photo

About Aaronsburg

community photo

Aaronsburg is located in eastern Centre County and bordered on the west by the borough of Millheim. It sits in Penns Valley at the base of Shriner Mountain. In 1786 the town was named for and founded by Aaron Levy, a Jewish immigrant who deeded the town he founded to local German Protestants. As the exact center of Pennsylvania, the formal town planning allowed for orderly and aligned streets, designed so the town might one day serve as the county seat. However, due to the lack of water, this never occurred. The current county seat is Bellefonte. In 1980, the Aaronsburg Historic District was added to the National Register of Historic Places.

In 1949, five years after the end of the Holocaust and World War II, over 30,000 people gathered in the village of Aaronsburg for a day-long celebration of religious and racial understanding and coexistence. It included a huge outdoor pageant on a natural stage and commemorated the accepting and bonding actions of the founder 160 years earlier when he deeded the town to local Lutheran and Reformed congregations and presented them with a beautiful pewter communion set. A short film and a book named "The Aaronsburg Story" by Arthur Lewis were written of this event.

For two days in October, crowds converge in Aaronsburg's square for an annual festival called the Dutch Fall Festival. Although it is a small festival, there is a large selection of vendors selling local wares and traditional crafts. This free festival features great foods, live music, a raffle, and a quilt display!